1.1.09

A smoke-free Penang with non-smoking areas?

When I read that some researcher has this hope of turning the whole state into a non-smoking zone, I thought that guy must have been high on something.

I mean, err, hello? How idealistic can you be? Sure, it is a fine enough dream but I can say it's just gonna be a dream. That's all. Just think la. Even something so simple as putting on your seat belts in the backseat most Malaysians can't seem to do and he thinks they can adhere to non-smoking rules?

Ceh.

I've seen lawyers smoking INSIDE the courtroom (during adjournment) even with the No-Smoking sign clearly stuck on the wall.

I've seen doctors smoking INSIDE enclosed, air-conditioned places despite there being small children around.

I've seen politicians puffing just outside the state legislative building and then throwing the cigarette butts on the ground.

And here, we are talking about the general population? Heck, you think the Ah Beng who have no qualms spitting on the road could even be bothered with the idea of non-smoking areas? Don't even get me started on those who'd simply lit up anywhere they like and then throwing their cigarette butts everywhere.

So, having a smoke-free Penang may have been a great idea but without strict enforcement (which we ALL know we DON'T have), it will remain an idealistic dream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you are smoker, you probably crying out loud. so think