29.7.08

Breastfeeding versus formula milk

When I was pregnant with my firstborn, I made a lot of research into breastfeeding and the benefits of breast milk. I have long made up my mind that I will give my child breast milk and nothing else until he starts on solids at six months old.

However, the journey to breastfeeding is not easy. It is filled with obstacles and a lot of negativity from people who do not understand my conviction that breast milk the best for baby. They have been bought over by all those advertisements on milk powder boasting of this nutrient or that nutrient.

What most people do not know is that breast milk is nature's complete and perfect food for baby. It is the benchmark used by milk powder companies. Why else the claims 'As good as breast milk' or 'As nutritious as breast milk' or even 'almost like breast milk'? If infant formula are really so good why does it even need to promote itself as almost on par with breast milk?

Well, August is just a few days away and the first week is World Breastfeeding Week, thus this post.

To those in Penang, especially new mothers struggling to breastfeed their babies against all negativity and lack of support, there's a Mother Support breastfeeding campaign at the City Bayview Hotel on Aug 2.

For more details of the event, call Deborah at 017-4259378 or Dr Balkees at 012-4551551.

No comments: