21.4.08

Cheap mouthwatering tea-time treats

Mmmmm.....Apple Pie


Chicken Pie and Apple Pie

I have this thing for pastries and nothing hits the spot more than a wonderfully baked, crumbly and perfect chicken pie or apple pie!

TH found this stall and bought some of it for me to try and since then, I was hooked! These pies may be tiny but it sure do pack a punch in taste, flavour and most importantly, it is cheap too!


This is where you get the yummy Apple and Chicken Pies


The pies are stored in airtight containers



The little stall is just outside a coffee shop along Jalan Sungai Kelian in Hillside, Tanjung Bungah. He also sells mini cream puffs with real cream, not custard. These little bite-size delights are all homemade by the stall owner's relative, thus the great taste!


Just look at these tempting pies!

My review for the Apple Pie
- pastry is crumbly, buttery and melts in your mouth
- fillings are generous, just sweet enough and tasty

The nice friendly stall owner packing the pies for me

My review for the Chicken Pie:
- pastry is the same as the apple pie, it is crumbly, buttery and melts in your mouth
- fillings contain a few tiny pieces of chicken, peas and carrots, just the right amount for such a tiny bite-size pie

My review for the Cream Puff:
- pastry is soft and just the right consistency
- filling is real cream, not too sweet and when you bite into it, if fills your mouth with its creamy taste.

Snack rating: 7/10 - definitely recommended for teatime or just for the heck of it!

Price: 6 for RM3 (cream puff) / 5 for RM3 (pies)

Venue: Outside Chew City Cafe, Jalan Sungai Kelian, Hillside

Open: 8.30am - 11pm daily, close on Tues

5 comments:

5xmom.com said...

Wuah, today I went around town to look for traditional tarn-tart around 4 pm (when dim sum shop not yet open) and am gian-ing some pie and tart. Now, I see this. Must make a note to go there liao.

I bought the cream puff from Continental and they have shrunken the puff pastry and reduce the custard cream inside. It has become so light!

Cilaka, everywhere also cut down on their foods quality/quantity or increase price.

Foong said...

5xmom: ya lor, everything so expensive now! Luckily this stall selling the pies and cream puffs at reasonable price. I don't know whether still got any left by the time you go....he usually habis stock by mid afternoon.

I don't buy from Continental anymore la...not so good anymore and the price also increase!

lanaibeach said...

The tasty pastries
I never fail to go

I like good pastries
I remember the banana fritters
Along the side road of Fettes Park
It is best I ever tasted

There is this Indian tricycle stall
He cooks good fried beehoon
I used to buy when I was staying in Batu Ferrighi
On Hillside he plies his trade

Day he works in MPPP
Sweeping the road in Hillside
Now I don’t know he is still there
I had left Penang years ago

So when you wrote about food
I thought about Ah Guan apom
I can’t find another at my current place
Though he said he has his students
In Malacca and Johore Baru

And dessert nobody can beat Penang cendol
Thinking about it
It makes me wondering to the time
I spent years in Penang Island

So I better keep know
When I visit Penang Island one day
I know there are many changes
I hope I don’t have to lose my way

CK Lam said...

tks for recommending this stall. Will drop by tomorrow morning before its sold out.

What2see

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the cream puffs are the one that I always had during our church functions. Very super nice and creamy. Never get to know where to buy. I really love creamy pastry. Yum!! Oh, by the way, mind to tell me how to go there in detail? I am new in Penang. Thanks.